IJSTR

International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research

IJSTR@Facebook IJSTR@Twitter IJSTR@Linkedin
Home About Us Scope Editorial Board Blog/Latest News Contact Us
CALL FOR PAPERS
AUTHORS
DOWNLOADS
CONTACT
QR CODE
IJSTR-QR Code

IJSTR >> Volume 4 - Issue 3, March 2015 Edition



International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research  
International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research

Website: http://www.ijstr.org

ISSN 2277-8616



Experimental Method For Studying Habitual Behavior In Food Consumption

[Full Text]

 

AUTHOR(S)

Naziha Kasraoui

 

KEYWORDS

Keywords: Habit formation process, Consumption, Experimental method, Statistics analysis, Economic analysis, Tunisia.

 

ABSTRACT

Abstract: To investigate the process of habit formation in everyday life, a sample of 126 participants (students) chooses an eating and drinking for three periods (weeks). They completed the self-report habit each period and we have recorded their choices. All participants provided sufficient data for analysis and collected experimental data were examined over the study periods (3 weeks). Experimental analysis was used to examine the persistence of habit formation process in the behavior of participants. The game is carried out with 126 students and repeated for three periods. Using experimental laboratory data approach and economic analysis (elasticity), results show that into the presence of labor income and for 126 students, of whom approximately 70% showed that habit formation process is persist in their behaviors along the three periods. The rest (30% of them) who don’t present habit formation in their behavior for the three periods did not materially affect our conclusion about the assumption of habit formation process. Participants to the game persistently spend too much in early periods, they learn rapidly from their own experience to consume the same choice of meals and drinks. Their spending is closely linked to optimal consumption (non conditional on earlier spending) and they choose the same basket of goods in the future horizon, which shows that there’s a habit formation in the behaviors of participants.

 

REFERENCES

[1] A. Samuelson and S. Paul, “Lifetime Portfolio Selection by Dynamic Stochastic Programming,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 51, pp. 239–46, 1969.

[2] D.T. Breeden, “An Intertemporal Asset Pricing Model with Stochastic Consumption and Investment Opportunities,” Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 7, pp. 265-296, 1779.

[3] W.E. Ferson and G.M. Constantinides, “Habit persistence and durability in aggregate consumption: Empirical tests,” Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 29, pp. 199-240, 1991.

[4] A. Deaton and J. Muellbauer, “Economics and Consumer Behavior”, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

[5] C. Carrol and M. Kimball, “Notes and comments on the concavity of the consumption function,” Econometrica, vol. 64, pp. 981-992, 1994.

[6] M. Ben-Arab, E. Briys and H. Schlesinger, “Habit Persistence and the Demand for Insurance,” The Journal of Risk and Insurance, vol. 63, pp.111-119, 1997.

[7] V.L. Smith, “Microeconomic Systems as an Experimental Science,” American Economic Review, vol. 72, pp. 923-955, 1982.

[8] J.B. Detempie and F. Zapatero, “Asset Price in an Exchange Economy with Habit Formation,” Econometrica, vol. 59, pp. 1633-1657, 1981.

[9] H.E. Ryder and G.M. Heal, G.M, “Optimum Growth with Intertemporally Dependent Preferences,” Review of Economic Studies vol. 40, pp. 1-33, 1973.