Spatial Distribution of Primary Health Care Centres In Ughelli South And Warri South Local Government Areas of Delta State, Nigeria
Agaja S. A.
KEYWORDS: Ughelli South LGA, Warri South LGA, Primary Health Centre, Germain GPS.
ABSTRACT:- The mapping of primary health care centres in Ughelli South and Warri South Local Government Areas (LGA) of Delta State was carried out. The objective is to provide Geo-spatial information about the distribution and accessibility of the Primary Health Care Centres in the Local Government Areas. Germain GPS was used to capture the Co-ordinates of the Health Centres which was analysed using Arc Map 9.3 (ESRI) GIS software. The multivariate analysis showed that the nearest neighbour value for Warri South Local Government Rn=0.665341 which imply a clustered pattern of distribution. Ughelli South LGA Rn=0.9599. This results showed randomed distribution rather than clustered pattern of distribution. The importance of primary health care centres to the grass root dwellers is discussed.
1. Babara, S., Leigh, S., and James, M., 2005. Millbank Quarterly, Vol.83, NO. 3, pp457 – 502
2. Donaldson, M. S., Yordy, K. D., Lohr, K. N., and Vanselow, N. A. 1996 Primary Care America’s Health in New Era, Washington, D. C., National Academy Press.
3. Institute of Medicine. 1978 A manpower policy for Primary Health Care, IOM Puublication, 78 – 02 Washington, D. C., National Academy of Science.
4. World Health Organization. 1978 Declaration of Alma – Ata, International Conference on Primary Health Care, Alma – Ata; USSR 6 – 12 September Genera.
5. Onokerhoraye, 1999. Access and utilization of Modern Health Care facilities in the Petroleum producing region of Nigeria. The case of Bayelsa State. Takemi program in International Health Boston, USA.
6. Ufua, M.E. 2002: The Use of SPOT Remotely Sensed Data for the Revision of Nigerian 1:50,000 Topographic Maps. In Ulucha, N.O. Dada, F.A.O. (eds), Maps and Resource Management Publication of Nigerian Cartographic Association P98-113.
7. Fasona, M and Anosike, V. 2002 Gis Based Assessment of the Potential Benefits of Dredging the River Niger: A Case Study of Western Niger Delta. In Uluocha, N.O., F. A. O. (eds) Maps and Resource management Publication of Nigerian Cartographic Association P70-79.
8. Fabiyi, S. (2001) Geographic Information Systems: Techniques and Methods RSS1, Ibadan.
9. Uluocha, O.N. 2007 Elements of Geographic Information Systems. San Iroanusi Publication, Lagos.
10. Unueroh, K.A. and Agaj S. A. 2011 Identification of suitable landfill sites using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques: A study of Warri and Environs in Nigeria. International Journal of Sustainable Development Vol. 4, No 5, P19-24.
11. Mitchel, A 2005 The ESRI Guide to GIS Analysis Vol 2, Spatial Measurement and statistics. ESRI press, Redlands, Califonia.